Cultural resources are defined by Army and Department of Defense policy as:
- Historic properties, as defined in the National Historic Preservation Act
- Cultural Items, as defined in the Native American Graves Protection and Repartriation Act
- Archeological resources, as defined in the Archeological Resources Protection Act
- Sacred sites, as defined in Executive Order 13007
- Archeological collections, as defined in 36 CFR Part 79, Curation of Federally-Owned and Administered Archaeological Collections
Management of Army cultural resources is guided by Chapter 6 of Army Regulation (AR) 200-1, Environmental Protection and Enhancement.